Skip to content ↓

U12 Indoor Football Champions

On Friday 29th January 2016 a team of Year 7 boys became U12 Indoor Champions.  Well done boys excellent performance.

18 school teams represented their districts in the East Midlands final at the Derby soccer dome.  Drawn in league B the boys had a slow start having only 10 minutes to warm up properly before they played Kettering Buccleuch Academy.  Unfortunately they lost the game and needed to win the remaining 5 matches in order to win the league.  Other results went the boys way with 4 other teams drawing their matches.  The next game for the boys was against Magnus CofE Academy, Newark which was another closely contested game and the boys looking a little bit sharper.  Match 3 was against Woodbrook Vale High School who had been very physical in previous matches and this was an opportunitity to test the team's mettle!  After two early goals the confidenc was high and the defence thwarted many of the attacks and set up great counter attacking opportunities to gain an emphatic win.  By the fourth game, confidence was sky high and the boys had worked out the roll of the pitch and their game plan which led to another victory.  By the final match it was worked out by assistant coach Mr Hart that the boys were top of the league by 2 points and had to play the second place rival for the top spot against Alestree Woodlands School.  The final result was 1 all despite being on top and having the lead for most of the game.

The semi final match was against Outwood Academy.  This game was very close but the boys managed to score first and led to midway through the second half when they equalised.  Competition rules states no extra time, which meant the boys went straight into penalties.  William was the first player to start the first round of penalties and nerves were telling as he fired his shot at the keeper.  Outwood scored their first but our keeper Kyle pulled off a great save on their second penalty and the scores were level once more.  All outfield players had taken their penalties and it was down to the two goal keepers.  Kyle managed to save the penalty from their very nervous goal keeper and now had to then convert his in order for the boys to go through to the final.  With relative calm, Kyle slotted the ball right into the corner of the goal.  The practise had paid off in the previous training session!.

The final against Sirius Academy West from Kingston Upon Hull and was again a very closely fought match.  Sirius scored first but the boys managed to equalise straight after and there were few clear cut goal scoring opportunities due to excellent defending by both teams notably by Jamie and Finley.  Nearing the final whistle defender, Jamie was fouled and injured his knee, which meant a final substitution for Connor.  Play resumed and from a free kick on the half way mark, Alfie played a truly weighted through ball for Joshua to slot the ball into the corner to help the boys take the lead. Within seconds of the restart the final whistle went and the boys were EAST MIDLANDS CHAMPIONS!!